Sunday, February 28, 2010

Oh Canada

Wow. This has been an amazing day for Canada. I've never been more proud to say I'm a Canadian than today. Just amazing. I've never been into the Olympics in past years, especially when all the shows I love stop airing while they're playing. This year, due to Kates love for figure skating and ice dance and lack of having her own TV, I ended up falling in love with the Olympics. I wasn't originally going to do a post on the games because everyone else seemed to take care of it, but I feel like I should write in my own words the impact it had on me this year so that I can look back and remember this moment in Canadian history. Now, I didn't watch all of the different events, actually very little compared to most people, but the ones I did watch I really go into them.

First, Scott and Tessa. Not only was it the most captivating ice dance I have ever seen, but I have a new love. (Scott Moir, not ice dance) All three of their programs were absolutely breath taking, and they definitely earned their gold medals. I also loved the figure skating with Jessica and Bryce. I forget what they placed, but they are a beautiful couple as well.

Second, and not mentioned near enough, the Womens Hockey Team!! Our Canadian Ladies KILLED it out there! I hadn't watched any full games, except gold, because of homework (shocking, I know), but they owned it. Everyone says that there was no doubt that they would get gold, as if its not that big of deal, but I think that just because they're kick ass and it was expected doesn't take away from how awesome it is!

I'm a little embarassed to say this, but I watched the curling gold medal game. Not that I have anything against curling, but I've always found it a tad slow. My dad and stepmom are curlers though, (pro kentville curlers, I might add haha) and I ended up watching it with them in Moncton last night. Oddly, I really got into it. I yelled "hard! hard!" at the screen, despite the fact that I didn't yell it at the right time or know what it means. Of course, Canada dominated in curling throughout, and the men grabbed gold in the end. Highlights of curling, team Norways pants. Loved it. The fact that the really cute guy on team Canada, I think his name was John, didn't change is socks throughout the entire olympics until they won. Funny, but I feel like he probably has a bad case of athletes foot! (I'd still date him though) Lastly, the fact that towards the end, before we actually won, the audience started singing Oh Canada! A little early, but gave me the chills nonetheless.

Finally, MENS HOCKEYYY! Watched the game from start to finish, and I don't remember breathing. SO intense. How the US managed to score with 24 seconds left is beyond me! They were definite competition and HUGE props to Miller. There's no doubt he is an amazing goalie, not that I know much about hockey, other than watching my 3 brothers play for the better part of my life. (no sarcasm intended. I know shockingly little about rules in hockey after SO many years in freezing cold rinks. Why did I even go? Duh, cute hockey boys) Back to Canada! Crosby, you did Canada AND Nova Scotia prouddd!! I jumped out of my seat! Such an intense gold medal game! "Now they know whose game they're playing!" Thank you, Coca-Cola, for one of the best commercials.

So that about sums up MY views on the olympics. I'll be sure to tune in in four years when Canada tries to beat the gold medal record that THEY have now set, in Russia! Well done, Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment